Match Reports 2011

North Kerry Novice Championship Final
Clounmacon B   4-02  Duagh C
Venue: Coolard / Date: 13th January 2012

Clounmacon went in quest of a second title in the space of a week when their B team faced Duagh C in the North Kerry Novice Championship Final in Coolard last Saturday.  However despite a spirited
performance they ultimately went down to a strong Duagh outfit. From the outset Duagh controlled proceedings and by the end of the first quarter they had raced into an 8 point lead, helped by a
fortuitous goal. In rare attack Clounmacon opened their account with a point from Tony Walsh.  Duagh replied with 2 further white flags but Clounmacon got a lifeline in the final minute of the half when Paudie Quinn latched onto a pass to rattle the net.  Half Time Duagh 1-7 Clounmacon 1-1

The second half began in a similar pattern to the first with Duagh adding 3 early points and it looked like game over as the enjoyed a 9 point lead.  However the Clounmacon boys had other ideas and were back in the contest when Tony Walsh’s long range free deceived the keeper and ended up in the net.  This was quickly followed by a fine Paudie Quinn point.  Duagh responded with 2 quick points.  In the 17th minute Tony Walsh crept inside the Duagh defence to hit a powerful shot into the net.  A minute later substitute Kevin Murphy took advantage of a mix up in the Duagh rearguard to fist in Clounmacons fourth goal. Incredibly there was now only a point between the sides.  The final 10
minutes was played out in a welter of excitement with Clounmacon piling the pressure on the Duagh defence.  Despite plenty of chances Clounmacon couldn’t add to their tally and Duagh completed the scoring with 2 points in the final minute to see them over the line.  Final Score Clounmacon 4-2, Duagh 1-14

Credit to both teams for providing a very entertaining game of football referred by John Ross of Ballyduff

Clounmacon Team:
Lesley Grimes, Tom Barry, Mike Sheehy, Des Daly, Mike Shanahan, Tarik Barry, Kenneth Leahy,
Tom Toomey, Tony Walsh (2-01), Sean Stack, John Walsh, Paudie Quinn (1-1)
Subs: Kevin Murphy (1-0), David Murphy, Edward Browne, Brendan Carey, Mike Collins

North Kerry Junior Championship Final
Clounmacon A 2 10  Ballylongford B
  1 07
Venue: Tarbert / Date: 8th January 2012

Clounmacon captured the North Kerry Junior Championship Final on Sunday last in Shannon Park, Tarbert on a score line of 2-10 to 1-7. Clounmacon played with the aid of the breeze in the 1st half.  Chris Lyons opened the scoring in the first minute with a point, quickly
followed by Seamus Twomey.  In the 4th minute Clounmacon had the ball in the Ballylongford net thanks to a fisted effort by Diarmuid Carmody.  Within a minute Clounmacon added another goal as Chris Lyons made no mistake from the penalty spot.  Ballylongford replied with a
point and a goal from their full forward Paul O’Hanlon which had them right back in the game.  Clounmacon increased their lead with points from Seamus Twomey.  Ballylongford responded with 4 points. Clounmacon had a let off in the final minute of the half when Ballylongford were awarded a penalty but this was sent wide by Kieran Dennehy.

The second half was a tight affair with scores at a premium.  Half time sub Noel Lyons scored Clounmacons opening point of the half and their lead was further increased by a Seamus Twomey free. Ballylongford kept the pressure on with points in the 16th and 17th minute.  It was nip and tuck from here on with Clounmacon backs working hard to keep Ballylongford at bay.  A brilliant long range point from Chris Lyons furthered Clounmacons lead in the 25th minute.
Man of the Match Seamus Twomey sealed victory for Clounmacon with his 7th point in the final minute.

Ballylongford bombarded the Clounmacon goals in injury time but couldn’t find a way past the Clounmacon backline where PJ Kissane and Joe Nestor were to the fore.

Referee Eddie Barrett finally blew the full time whistle to the joy of the Clounmacon supporters.  Full Time Score Clounmacon 2-10 Ballylongford 1-7

Afterwards competition sponsor John Moloney presented the cup to team captain Timmy Mulvihill.   Thanks to John & Bernie O’Sullivan who provided the Clounmacon Team with a meal afterwards in the Kingdom Bar.

This was a brilliant all round display from the Clounmacon team. Well done to Manager Johnny Horgan and his selectors John Walsh and Noel Lyons.

Clounmacon Team: Jack Toomey,  Ger Guerin, Kieran O’Mahony, Iosef Nestor,
Timmy Mulvihill ( c ), Pj Kissane, Aidan Carey, Brian Carty, Liam O’Sullivan, Fintan McEnery, Mark Toomey, Seamus Twomey (0-7), Diarmuid Carmody (1-0), Chris Lyons ( 1-2),
Enda Murphy

Subs: Noel Lyons (0-1) for Diarmuid Carmody, John O’Carroll for Enda  Murphy,
Brendan Griffin for Liam Sullivan, Timmy Kelly for Fintan McEnery, Des Daly, Liam Heffernan, Keith Browne, Tom Barry.

County Junior League Div 7
2-18 St Senans 1-03
Venue: Pairc Na Ngael / Date: 3rd June 2011

Clounmacon gained their third victory in this seasons Co. Junior League with an easy win over an under strength St Senans side at Pairc na Ngael last Friday night.  Mark Toomey opened the scoring for the home side with an early point.  Further scores were added from Brian Carty, Eoin McEnery and the impressive Seamus Twomey.  Goal keeper Jack Toomey denied St Senans a goal chance with a brilliant save.  Despite hitting a number of wides Clounmacon added points from Brian Carty and Seamus Twomey to leave the score at the half time whistle Clounmacon 0-9 St Senans 0-1


Fintan McEnery got his name on the scoreboard with a point in the opening minute of the second half.  The game was over as a contest when Clounmacon bagged two goals in the space of a minute from Seamus Twomey and Brian Carty.  St Senans score a consolation goal late on from the penalty spot. Clounmacon ran out easy winners with the full time score: Clounmacon 2-18 St Senans 1-3.

Best for Clounmacon were Timmy Mulvihill, Chris Moore, Brian Carty & Seamus Twomey.

Clounmacon Team: Jack Toomey, Ger Guerin, Kieran O’Mahony, Pa Burns, Timmy Mulvihill (0-1) Brendan Griffin, Eoin McEnery (0-1) Chris Moore, Timmy Kelly, Mark Toomey (0-4), Fintan McEnery (0-1), Seamus Twomey (1-5), Brian Carty (1-6)


County Junior League Div 7
0-23 Charlie Kerins 2-02
Venue: Mountcoal / Date: 20th May 2011

Clounmacon opened their County Junior League campaign with an easy victory over Charlie Kerins, played in Mountcoal last Friday night.  Despite conceding and early goal Clounmacon took control of proceedings and opened their scoring with a Mark Toomey point.  Winning plenty of primary possession at midfield points were added by Seamus Twomey, Fintan McEnrey, Mark Toomey and four points from play from outstanding wing back Timmy Mulvihill.  Charlie Kerins responded with a goal of their own and their goal keeper kept them in the game with a series of fine saves including one from a Seamus Twomey penalty.  Timmy Kelly, Enda Murphy and Brian Carty raised further white flags to leave the Half Time Score Clounmacon 0-12 Charlie Kerins 2-1

Clounmacon opened their 2nd half account with points from Seamus Toomey, Brian Carty and Fintan McEnrey.  Playing some lovely free flowing football, Clounmacon dominated the play and strolled to a comprehensive win.  They introduced a number or subs and points were added by Brian Carty, Fintan McEnrey, Christy Moore and four minors from the trusty left boot of Seamus Twomey. 

Final Score:  Clounmacon 0-23 Charlie Kerins 2-2

In an impressive team display Clounmacon were best served on the night by Timmy Mulvihill, Christy Moore, Mark Toomey, Brendan Griffin and Seamus Twomey

Clounmacon Team: Jack Toomey, Kieran O'Mahony, Ger Guerin, Joe Nestor, Timmy Mulvihill (0-4) PJ Kissane, Des Daly, Christy Moore (0-1) Brendan Griffin, Timmy Kelly (0-1), Mark Toomey (0-2) Fintan McEnrey (0-4) Enda Murphy (0-1) Brian Carty (0-4) Seamus Twomey (0-6)

Subs On: Liam Heffernan, Charles Nolan, Noel Lyons.



North Kerry League Div 3 Semi Final
0-4 St Senans 0-9
Venue: Finuge / Date: 17th May 2011

There was disappointment for Clounmacon on Tuesday night 17th May as they lost 0-9 to 0-4 in the Division 3 Semi Final of the North Kerry League.  Senans opened the scoring in the 2nd minute with a point and continued to dominate throughout the first half.  Clounmacon attempts at scoring were well off target with a large number of wides.  Senans took control of the game and by the 17th minute they were 4pts ahead. Play became very scrappy as both teams struggled in the wet conditions.  Just before the half time whistle Clounmacon added 2 points, both coming from the boot of Mark Toomey.

Half Time Score: Clounmacon 0-3 St Senans 0-4

Senans took control of the match in the second half as the boys in black and amber failed to get going.  Senans scored 3 points without reply.  For the next 20 minutes the game failed to see either side scoring until Senans got a point in the 24th minute.  Clounmacon were struggling to hold on to any ball and it wasn’t until a free taken by Mark Toomey following a foul on Fintan McEnrey lead to Clounmacon getting their only score of the second half.  Senans went on to add a further point, leaving the final score Clounmacon 0-4 St Senans 0-9. Best for Clounmacon on the night were Jack Toomey, Joe Nestor, PJ Kissane and Fintan McEnrey.

Clounmacon Team: Jack Toomey, Ger Guerin, Kieran O'Mahony, Joe Nestor, Robert Heffernan, Timmy Mulvhill, PJ Kissane, Fintan McEnrey (0-1) Christy Moore, Timmy Kelly, Mark Toomey (0-3) Brendan Griffin, Seamus Twomey, Brian Carty, Enda Murphy.

Subs On: Joe Galvin


North Kerry League Div 3 Round 3
Moyvane 2-14   Clounmacon 2-10

Venue: Moyvane / Date: 6h May 2011

Clounmacon travelled to nearby Moyvane on Friday evening 6th May.  This was to be a very exciting fixture indeed.  Straight from the throw in it looked like it might be Clounmacons night with Timmy Kelly & Seamus Twomey getting the first 2 points of the match.  Moyvane soon put a dampner on that great start by replying with a goal in the 3rd minute.  The home teams luck was to continue with Moyvane getting 3 unanswered points.  Clounmacon had a great chance to bring themselves within a point of the leaders with FIntan McEnrey taking a shot on goal which rattles the crossbar and came back out where he takes his point.  Moyvane  looked set to do more damage when they thought they got a second goal only to have it disallowed by the referee for what seemed to be due to a player travelling with the ball.  Clounmacon seemed to be struggling as Moyvane took control of the game by getting 1 goal and 5 points with out any reply from Clounmacon.  It wasn't until the 24th minute that Clounmacon got back on target with Seamus Twomey stepping up to take a free and scoring a point.  Yet again Moyvane came right back by scoring another 2 points.  Just before the half time whistle Mark Twoemy scores a point for Clounmacon.  The game at this stage was surely in the bag for Moyvane with the scoreboard reading Moyvane 2-10 Clounmacon 0-5 at half time.

Moyvane looked like they were going to dominate the 2nd half just they did in the 1st by getting the first two points of the second half.  It was definitley not Clounmacons night and this was proved by Joe Galvins shot on goal hitting the crossbar for the second time.  This did not deter Clounmacon as they began to compete much better with 2 points, one each from Timmy Kelly & Brian Carty.  This spurred the boys in black and amber on, with Seamus Twomey hitting the ball into the back of the Moyvane net. minutes later with a great run of play from a number of Clounmacon players, Enda Murphy continuing his goal scoring streak of the North Kerry League fires the ball into the Moyvane net.  Were Clounmacon to make a comeback! not if Moyvane had anything to do with it.  They responded with a point from a free kick straight after, along with a further point from play.  Clounmacon fought on and tried their hardest to get within reach of a draw with points coming from Seamus Twomey & Mark Toomey.  But there was just too much work to be done, 4 points were needed to bring the game level and with little time left the chance or a draw or victory was out of Clounamcons grasp. It was to be Moyvanes night.
Final Score: Moyvane 2-14, Clounmacon 2-10

Clounmacon Team: Jack Toomey, Ger Guerin, Kieran O'Mahony, Timmy Mulvihill, Brendan Griffin, Des Daly, Joe Nestor, Chris Moore, Fintan McEnrey (0-1) Timmy Kelly (0-2), Mark Toomey(0-2), Diarmuid Carmody, Seamus Twomey (1-3), Brian Carty (0-2), Enda Murphy (1-1)
Subs: Pa Burns on for Fintan, Joe Galvin on for Diarmuid, PJ Kissane on for Des.


North Kerry League Div 3 Round 4
St Senans 2-12   Clounmacon
Venue: Mountcoal / Date: 3rd May 2011

A windy evening in Mountcoal saw Clounmacon achieve their 2nd wind in the North Kerry League.  Although the home team, Senans saw themselves opening the scoring with a point in the first minute of the match, Clounmacon quickly retaliated with Enda Murphy doing what he does best and scoring 2 goals.  The first came when Mark Toomey went on a solo run through the heart of the Senans defence, he played a one/two with Diarmuid Carmody and the ball was played into Enda who calmly dispatched the ball into the corner of the Senans net.  The second goal came from a mix up between the Senans goal keeper and full back, with the hard work coming from Diarmuid Carmody, leaving Enda to tap the ball into an empty net.  The best response that Senans could give was a point in the 7th min, but this was quickly cancelled out by a point from Brian Carty.  The score at this point was Clounmacon 2-01, Senans 0-2.  St Senans get a 45 and successfully get themselves another point.  However with a massive kick from 30 yards out Robert Heffernan sends the ball between the Senans post.  Senans fought on by adding a further point to their score.  Alas Clounmacon did what they were doing best all evening with Enda Murphy getting another two points before the short whistle. 

Half Time Score: St Senans 0-04 Clounmacon 2-04


The Second Half was much the same as the first with Clounmacon opening the scoring with a point from Fintan McEnrey.  They were to get a further two points, one each from Brian Carty & Enda Murphy.  It wasn’t until the 13th minute that Senans got their first score of the second half by scoring a point.  Clounmacon were in flying form with a great run of play from Brian Carty, Mark Toomey and Timmy Mulvihill who linked up with each other and passing the ball to Enda Murphy who gets another Clounmacon point.  That was to be the last of the scores for the winning side, neither team scored again for the next 22 minutes until Senans scored a point before the last minute to bring their second half tally to 2 points. 

The Final Score: St Senans 0- 06 Clounmacon 2-08

 Clounmacon Team: Jack Toomey, Ger Guerin, Kieran O’Mahony, Joe Nestor, Robert Heffernan (0-1) Timmy Mulvihill, Des Daly, Chris Moore, Fintan McEnrey (0-1), Timmy Kelly, Mark Toomey, Brendan Griffin, Enda Murphy (2-4), Brian Carty (0-2), Diarmuid Carmody. Subs: Pa Burns for Diarmuid Carmody


North Kerry League Div 3 Round 2
Listowel Emmets 2-12   Clounmacon
Venue: Listowel / Date: 19th April 2011

Clounmacon got off to a great start with opening scores from Seamus Twomey. Emmets came back and the game was level at 2 points a piece til the 8th min when Listowel increased their score by scoring a goal.  This run of luck was to continue for Emmetts as they got another 3 points.  Bringing the score to Emmetts 1-5 Clounmacon 0-02.  Clounmacon missed out on the opportunity to bring themselves within 3 points of Emmets in the 17th min when Enda Murphys shot on goal was just wide of the mark.  Emmetts replied by increasing their score by another point.  Enda was determinded to get on the score board and make up for that previous goal attempt, by first getting a point and a minute later scoring a goal for Clounmacon.  This left the scoreboard showing Emmets 1-6 Clounmacon 1-3 at half time.

 The second half started off with Clounmaon continuing where they left off in the first half with Enda Murphy adding a further 2 points to his tally within the first minute of the restart.  Emmets got a further 3 points making sure that Clounamcon were not going to close in on them.  Yet Clounmacon were not going to give up without a fight, Seamus Twomey in the 10th Minute pointed the ball again. Unfortunately Clounmacon were running out of steam as Emmets pulled away from them by getting another 2 points and to add insult to injury the real damage was done when Emmets got a penalty in the 27th minute.  The game was out of Clounmacons reach at this stage as the clock was ticking down. Emmets finished off the scoring with a point.  Clounmacon gave the game their all and considering they were missing a number of key players they played very well on the night and put up a great fight.

Final Score:  Emmets 2-12, Clounmacon  1- 6 . 

Clounmacon Team: Jimmy Clancy, Ger Guerin, Kieran O'Mahony, Mike Shanahan, PJ Moloney, Ioseph Nestor, Des Daly, Mark Toomey, Christy Moore, Timmy Kennelly, Timmy Mulvihill, Raymond O'Donnell, Diarmuid Carmody, Seamus Twoemy, Enda Murphy Subs: Fintan McEnrey for Mike Shanahan, Joe Galvin for Des Daly, Charles Nolan for Raymond O'Donnell  


North Kerry League Div 3 Round 1
Clounmacon 1-11 Beale 1-06

Venue: Moyvane / Date: 12th April 2011

Clounmacon got off to a flying start in their 1st North Kerry League match.  They were two points up within the 1st 2 minutes of throw in with score from Chris Lyons and Mark Toomey.  The scores continued with Clounmacon leading 5 points to nil with points from Enda Murphy, Seamus Twomey and Chris Lyons.   Beale were given a golden opportunity to bring themselves within 2 points of Clounmacon with a penalty in the 20 minute but this was not to be.  Jack Toomey pulled off a great save denying Beale a chance to get on the scoreboard.  Eventually in the 23rd minute Beale replied with their 1st point of the match. However Mark Toomey increased Clounmacon's lead by another point.  Beale responded swiftly by adding on another 2 points to their tally before the half time whistle.

Half Time Score: Clounmacon 0-6 Beale 0-3

The 2nd Half saw Clounmacon continuing where they left off in the 1st half.  They took control of the game with Enda Murphy stretching Clounmacon's lead by placing the ball in the back of the Beale net. But Beale were not going to give up, they replied with 2 points allowing them to close in on Clounmacon.  The Clounmacon boys were determined not to let them catch up with Enda Murphy winning a free in the 37th minute with Seamus Twomey stepping up to the mark with a short kick to Chris Lyons who fists the ball over the bar.  Beale took advantage of a great scoring opportunity in the 45th minute by adding a goal to their tally.  They were trying their best not to let the game slip away from their grasp.  But to Beale's dismay it was not to be their day, a repeat of last years fixture between the two teams was not on the cards as Chris Lyons pointed the ball yet again for Clounmacon.

The final score was Clounmacon 1-11 Beale 1-06

Clounmacon Team: Jack Toomey, Ger Guerin, Kieran O'Mahony, Iosef Nestor, Timmy Mulvihill, Brian Carty, Des Daly, Liam O'Sullivan, Christy Moore, Diarmuid Carmody, Mark Toomey, Chris Lyons, Enda Murphy, Seamus Twomey, Timmy Kelly Subs: Joe Galvin for Enda Murphy, Raymond O'Donnell for Des Daly, Charles Nolan for Liam O'Sullivan